Thursday, January 21, 2010

Homeschooling Update....

I know it's been awhile since I last updated everyone on Morgan's and my homeschooling adventures. So, here ya go.

Morgan and I took some time off over the holidays from schooling. It was a much needed break for both of us. Morgan is continuing to progress. She is doing great. She is also starting to do some of her work independently. I couldn't be more proud of her desires to do that.

I have been concerned that maybe she wasn't progressing as fast as I thought she needed to. And, thought perhaps there was more that I could do to help her progress faster. After a ton of research and interviews at different establishments, Jason and I have decided to get her some one on one additional tutoring at Huntington Learning Center. My hope is that the combination of the work I am doing with her here at home along with the tutoring they will provide, that we can get her where she needs to be much sooner with her Reading.

Morgan went to Huntington today for evaluations. When I went back to pick her up, Carol, the lady evaluating her, sat down with me to discuss how everything to discuss where they believed Morgan to be and what they could do for her. Of course, I had a ton of questions. What's new? lol. She said that Morgan was doing an excellent job with the testing. (Let me back up for a second. I told her upon our initial visit about Morgan's lack of self esteem when it comes to doing her school work.) Today, she told me that she saw exactly what I was telling her. She and Morgan discussed this. I had also told her that I would prefer to be able to put Morgan back in school next year, most likely private school. We also discussed that further today as well. Her opinion after talking with Morgan and working with her this morning, was that I made the right decision in bringing her home. She told me that she had NEVER advised a parent to homeschool their child. But, based off her initial assessment of Morgan, that she felt it would be in Morgan's best interest to be kept home with me another year until she goes to Middle School. She said that Morgan was a very bright and intelligent child. And, that it saddened her to know and see the results of Morgan being in school thus far. I know that a lot of you will not agree with that.

I have many family and friends that are public school teachers. I am not discrediting them at all. They are all wonderful people and wonderful teachers. But, Morgan is proof that one form of education is not suitable for ALL children. Kids are different. They learn differently. What works for one, might not always work for the other. I will refrain from stating my opinion on our public school systems. My opinion is a very biased opinion. And, it is one rooted in bitterness with how our public school has handled this situation with my child. I will say that the problems are not our teachers or our staff. They all do a wonderful job. It is with our school system itself. Enough said about that or I'll get on a soap box with it.

Where are we now??? I have a meeting Monday with Huntington to discuss Morgan's evaluation results. At that time, they will tell me where she is at currently and lay out the tutoring course they will take with her. In the mean time, she and I will continue to do our school work here at home. Only, she will also be going to Hunnington 2 days a week for work there. Jason and I both feel very much at peace with the path we have chosen for her at this time.

I am starting now to look ahead at the next school year. It's still undecided at this point. There are two options that we are looking into. A lot of that decision will depend on where Morgan is at with Reading and her confidence levels next August. Option 1 is to enroll her in Grace Christian Academy. If we choose to do that, Abbey will most likely be switched from public to private school as well. Abbey will be allowed to voice her opinion on that. She does great in public school. I have no problems with her there. So, it will mainly be her decision to switch. Option 2 will be to enroll Morgan in a co-op program with a local church school here. In that program, she will attend school 3 days a week and will be taught at home, by me, the other 2 days a week. At this time, we are looking more heavily at the second option as I feel that doing a program such as that would also help to get her re-adjusted to attending school on a regular basis again. This would also prepare her to start Middle School the following year.

What can you do to help??? By continuing to pray and support us as we continue through this journey. Also, please keep the feedback coming. I really appreciate it all. Your feedback will often help me see things that I might have over looked or see things in a different light all together. We cannot thank you all enough for all of your prayers, support, encouragement and feedback.

For the first time since starting this journey, I feel at complete peace with where we are at in this and the directions that it is taking. I think Jason will agree with that one as well. We are both very thankful and feel very blessed with the opportunities that have been given to us to make this all possible.